Letters to the Editor: “Official” failures

Dear Editor,

I do not agree with the “No-Zero” policy. Why should you get points for assignments that you didn’t do? Some people actually try on assignments and they deserve good grades. But, if a student doesn’t apply themselves at all, then they shouldn’t be given a good grade. When they go into the world and try to get a job, that strategy won’t work. They won’t get paid anything if they don’t apply themselves at all. The “No-Zero” policy isn’t helping students get ready for the real world.

~senior Hannah Worthy

Dear Editor,

I feel we should allow this “No-Zero” policy. I feel like it would help a lot more students pass and give them a lot more opportunity in the adult world. This policy is not giving a free passing grade because obviously a fifty is a failing grade, but it raises their average a lot more. Grades and school, in my view, are one of the most stressful things on a teenagers shoulders. This policy will make students a lot less stressed. High school students are now taking college level courses, and they have so much homework and classwork that they have to do. If they don’t do them they get a zero and fail the class very quickly, that’s why I personally think the “No-Zero” policy would be a great idea.

-sophomore Dylan Hill

Dear Editor,

I do not agree with the “No-Zero” policy because I feel like if a student isn’t going to do their work, then why give them a 50% on an assignment, especially if they already know they are going to get a 50% for not doing their work. As young adults, we should be responsible enough to complete our own work. The zeros aren’t the problem, the students are. They shouldn’t feel bad when they see zeros, because they are the ones who brought it upon themselves.

-senior Dearria Harrington

Dear Editor,

I agree with the “No-Zero” policy because I think that it’s extremely easy to fail classes by missing even one assignment. Seeing an F in your grade book is very frustrating and discouraging. It’s easy to give up once you’ve dug yourself into a hole. I think with this new policy it will promote actually doing your work and not wanting to give up on your academics. I think it will be a great idea for academically struggling students.

-sophomore Siera Cannon

Dear Editor,

The “No-Zero” policy is a pathetic way to push a lazy student to pass. How is this supposed to teach students to work hard and earn things for themselves? It won’t. These students become lazier as the years progress. Personally, I feel as though teachers have finally given up if they feel willing to give me a fifty just to push me along. How can someone feel confident about their grades if they get a fifty for receiving a paper? How will this reflect onto those who actually work hard? Students should receive the grades they earn. If there is no work, they get no credit.

-senior Lindsey Sturdevant

Dear Editor,

A student that did nothing should get a zero. If a high schooler still isn’t doing work by now, the issue isn’t about zeros. The issue is that the school system thinks zeros are the issue. The problem is the student. The problem is that because all these students are used to getting away with doing nothing and passing through life. They don’t want to try because they don’t need to try to pass. In middle school, I didn’t do anything. I never did homework and I got passed to the next year by doing nothing. My point is that students need motivation. Making sure school is easier won’t make the real world easier.

-senior Hannah Mailand

Dear Editor,

The “No-Zero” policy is completely wrong and is too inconsiderate. It’s not fair to the kids to make life so easy for them so early on. They will never understand the loss in the real world or the amazing feeling of working hard and getting work done. This policy is also giving a crutch for the kids that just don’t care. Because believe it or not some kids don’t care about their grades and shouldn’t be allowed to pass unless they work hard like everyone else. This policy makes it so the teacher doesn’t have to work hard or care about their students. I do not support this policy and I think it should be turned down at all costs.

-sophomore Ben Warren

Dear Editor,

From the perspective as a student, I have near total opposition to rewarding a push over for being a representation of the pinnacle of irresponsibility. Teens make mistakes. Sometimes they miss an assignment and get a zero. They will either brush it off and see if they can scrounge some kind of credit for the assignment. The key word is “effort” throughout all of high school. It doesn’t take a genius to understand that the world is unforgiving. It is a right of passage to figure that our. High school is the prime opportunity for someone to figure that out.

-senior Jakari Probst