Staff Spotlight of the month: Mrs. Machay

Public speaking and theater teacher Mrs. Machay was chosen for “Staff Spotlight” for the month of February. Machay has been teaching for 24 years and continues to enhance students’ confidence in and out of the classroom and/or stage.

Q: What steps have you taken to become a teacher?

A: “I went to grad school and I have a Master’s in Education and an undergrad in Theater and English literature. I taught English and public speaking for 14 years and then I took over the theater department 10 years ago. I taught advanced acting and performing arts in high school right outside of New York City.”

Q: How would you describe your teaching style?

A: “First and foremost, I think I am student-centered and student-led. I give the instruction and I like to let kids step into their own power and voice and figure things out on their own. I’m always there to guide them and answer questions and whatnot, but I feel like the best way to learn is to just get in there and do.”

Q: What extracurricular activities are you involved in?

A: “Theater. All things theater. Drama club, one-act play, theater director, sponsor of the thespian honors society, and was the forensics coach for 23 years.”

Q: What is your life motto?

A: “Always be open to the lesson and the opportunity even when something first presents itself as an obstacle, challenge, or failure. Always take what you need to learn from it because the universe is giving you exactly what you need at that moment. That’s really hard to do sometimes because life gets hard. But when I approach things like that, the whole situation seems better and it always teaches me a lesson.”

Q: What do you want your students to take away from your class? 

A: “The number one thing I think I want kids to take away from their time with me is, I might get emotional, that they have a voice. They deserve to use it in the world and using it for good is crucial. It’s what they’re put here to do. They own all of their power. All of it. And no one gets to define them or write their chapters for them. It’s all up to them. As soon as they really learn that and embrace their power, the sky is the limit.”

Q: What is most rewarding about your job?

A:  “The kids. Being present when those light bulbs go off, and all of a sudden, they’re doing things they didn’t think they could do. When they accomplish that, they’re like, “What’s next?” That’s the coolest thing about teaching.”