Staff spotlight of the month: English teacher Mrs. Marlar

Honors English 11 teacher Mrs. Marlar was chosen to receive the second “Staff Spotlight of the Month” for December. Marlar has been teaching for a total of 21 years, and has made a tremendous impact in not only our school community, but in other local high schools as well.

Q: How would you describe your teaching style?

A: “My teaching style is just that I try and engage all students by making it fun making everyone, feel included and comfortable, and providing an encouraging environment. I want to make connections with kids and hope that they take something out of the class. If you’re open and welcoming and you show that you care, that helps students understand that this teacher truly wants to help. That I just care about you and your development and growth.”

Q: What clubs/extracurriculars are you involved in?

A: “To feel more rooted in Cox, I was junior class advisor last year and senior class advisor co-adviser. I also was a soccer coach at Ocean Lakes, and last year was getting more involved with the JV soccer team with Coach Tonelson.”

Q: What have some of your favorite memories been here at Cox?

A: “One of my favorite memories would be last year’s Ring Dance. I’ve never sponsored before so it was really cool to go through the whole process with the kids and it’s something we were all proud of. It’s been tough after Covid because the junior class hasn’t been able to fundraise. They wanted to have a normal ring dance that wasn’t necessarily in the gym, so we worked hard and were able to have a nice ring dance for them at the Westin.”

Q: What is most rewarding about your job?

A: “I would say it’s the connections that I make with kids. Really, the reason that I went into education was that I wanted to connect with students and help them prepare for life after Cox because that’s a thing, you know. I want them to know they can always count on me as someone they can come back to and just ask for advice, guidance, or anything they need on their journey. Like I just love seeing people move on to the next leg of their lives. Having been a teacher for a while now, I’ve seen students meet in my class, get married, and have children. It’s just nice to see this because you understand that all we’re trying to do is get you to that next step where you find the happiness that you’re looking for.”

Q: What impact do you wish to have on your students? 

A: “I just wanted my students to realize that they have so much potential. It may not necessarily be what you get out of English class, but it’s more what you learn about yourself. You can overcome any challenge and you’re strong. You are able to do more than you probably think you can, and I just want my students to know that. If I can help facilitate that self-awareness and growth, then that’s what I’m here for.”