• April 26Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue their seasons.
  • April 25Seniors: graduation necessities will be delivered to school, or order through jostens.com.
  • April 20Congrats to Orchestra students who earned accolades in Orlando; 1st place Orchestra award and weekend Grand Champion.
  • April 16Spring spirit week and the spring pep rally will be held the week of April 22.

Homecoming traditions remain similar, yet different

Erin Horan
CHEERLEADERS CELEBRATE AT an annual bonfire in 2013. Most Falcon traditions have remained similar to those in years past.

Homecoming is an event as old as time; it is a time to honor the traditions at CHS, and an opportunity to start new traditions.

According to alumnus and Fashion teacher Jade Bolling, there are many traditions here that have stood the test of time, in addition to traditions that have started this year.

For starters, the bonfire is an example of one of these traditions. The event first started about 10-15 years ago, and it has occurred on Monday of homecoming week almost every year since. The event includes a giant bonfire that is first approved by fire marshals, and it is intended as a strong kick off to the other festivities during Homecoming week.

Originally, the fire took place on the practice football field at CHS, and a burned patch of grass marked the spot for the next year’s fire. However, due to the tradition’s growth and the importance it held for the Falcons, a fire pit was installed near the concessions building, and the fire has roared there every year since.

While the location of some of the traditions have changed, the general events have remained the same throughout the years. Furthermore, these events serve as an opportunity for students to become more involved at CHS. Many clubs come out to promote their activities, and sell different foods or items for students to purchase.

“It is an opportunity for students to get involved with extracurricular activities that are being promoted at the event. It is also just an event for students here at Cox to enjoy themselves,” former SCA sponsor Sabrina Shumate said. 

Aside from the bonfire, the Homecoming Week itself is full of tradition. For example, spirit weeks are one such tradition that has been ongoing for years. Throughout the week, students dress up to fit a variety of themes SCA students picked out for each day, though the themes have become more diversified over the years such as “green and gold day,” which always took place on Fridays before during the pep rally and the day of the football game.

Homecoming and its festivities are all still celebrated but events have been scaled back in order to meet school safety rules and be more eco-friendly.

“I think that when I was a student homecoming was more of an event and students cared more about the festivities that are involved with the week of homecoming. The students took pride in the floats, hallway decoration and who won Homecoming King and Queen,” CHS alumnus Tyler Noe said. “Halftime float designs, hallway decor, and the Homecoming court are all traditions held during homecoming week, and it’s good to see that students still have the opportunity to have fun and enjoy the week.”

At the end of the homecoming school week, there is a pep rally, where math teacher Sean Duffy will present the “I Am Somebody”.  There are also performances by the Falcon Marching Band, Gymnastics team, Cheer squad, and all fall sports teams are honored for their seasons accomplishments. The pep rally also hypes up Falcon students for the Homecoming football game and Homecoming parade, where floats will be presented by clubs and the different grade levels as they circle the track around the field. CHS will also honor Teacher of the Year, announce Homecoming royalty who will receive crowns and sashes. 

“It’s not all that different. It’s fun that the school comes out to support the football team, it’s a fun night,” CHS alumnus Cynthia Hiltz said.