Student-athletes commit early

Our school is known for its excellence in sports, now boasting over 50 state championship titles.  Not only do these student athletes excel, but several of them further their career at the collegiate level.  These students are recognized for their athletic and academic achievements in school, on the field and in the community by colleges and universities all around the country. 

Maddie Brunick

Maddie Brunick is currently a senior who committed last summer to the University of Tampa in Tampa, Florida. She continues to further her beach volleyball career as a Division 1 Spartan.  Brunick was recruited as a defender and hitter, but admits she was drawn to the University of Tampa because of its Criminal Justice program; her dream is to become an FBI agent. Also, due to the school’s Division 1 status in beach volleyball, she hopes to compete at a higher level and to improve her skills. Four years ago, Brunick won the U14 National Championships in Atlantic City, New Jersey, winning her first AVP tournament on center stadium in New York City; she has also had over 115 wins in the past three years. Furthermore, Brunick has built an impressive resume from indoor volleyball.

Payton Brunick 

Payton Brunick is currently a senior, who, along with twin sister Maddie, committed to the University of Tampa, a Division 1 school in Tampa, Florida, as a defender and attacker.  During her first few years playing beach volleyball, she won U14 nationals at Atlantic City, New Jersey and recently placed 7th in U16 Volley America Junior Nationals in Siesta Key, Florida.  This past summer, she traveled to California for AVP Junior Nationals, placing 17th.  One of Brunick’s biggest accomplishments was playing in the AVP First Gold Event in New York City, where she was able to play in front of hundreds of people on live television.  Not only has she succeeded on the beach, but also in the classroom as shown on her impressive academic resume.

Zoe Campisi

Zoe Campisi is currently a senior who recently committed to play field hockey at James Madison University (JMU), a Division 1 school in Harrisonburg, Virginia, as a center attacking midfield.  She was on First Team All-State, First Team All Legion, 2016 and 2018 6A State Champions, 1st Team All Tidewater, 2nd Team All American, and played on the U17 National Travel team.  She is also successful in school, ranking in the top 10% of her class.

According to Campisi, she decided to attend James Madison University because the moment she walked on the campus, she knew it was going to be her home after high school.  The coaches and players at JMU are welcoming and made her feel at home. She plans on majoring in Health Sciences to become a nutritionist or a nurse practitioner specialist in Pediatric Oncology.

Stevie Drum

Stevie Drum is currently a junior, already committing to play field hockey at the University of Richmond, a Division 1 school in Richmond, Virginia, as a forward.  Thus far, she has won two state titles with her team, was named 1st Team All State, 1st Team All Region and Virginia 6A Champion.

According to Drum, she decided to go to the University of Richmond because she loved the school, the coaches, and the girls on the team and believed it to be the perfect fit. As a junior, she hopes to once again lead the Falcons to another state championship.

Josh Grosz

Josh Grosz is currently a senior who has committed to play Division 1 baseball at East Carolina University (ECU) in Greenville, North Carolina, as a pitcher.  Grosz started his first two years of high school with an impressive performance, named as MVP and All Conference both freshman and sophomore year.  His junior year he was awarded All Area and All Conference.

According to Grosz, he chose ECU because it is a top 10 ranked school in the country for baseball, he loves the coaches, facility, area and the fields. His brother is currently enrolled as well.

Lexi Horner

Lexi Horner is currently a senior who committed to play softball for the University of Lynchburg, a Division 3 school in Lynchburg, Virginia, as an outfielder. She has been a key player for our school’s softball team since her freshman year and is also involved in several school clubs including: General Assembly, Senior Advisory Board, DECA, and the Social Studies National Honor Society. Horner is planning on majoring in nursing or Biology.

According to Horner, she chose Lynchburg because it has a beautiful campus, she liked the size of the school, and they have a good softball program.

Kylie Levine

Kylie Levine is currently a senior who recently committed to play field hockey at Longwood University, a Division 1 school in Farmville, Virginia.  She was recruited to play defense/midfield and decided on Longwood due to the amazing coaching staff and long-term benefits, such as her plans to major in Biology to become a nurse. She was a Virginia 6A field hockey Regional Champion and 6A State Champion last year. She was also selected for the National Field Hockey Academic Squad.  Levine is also involved with the school as she is in the National Honor Society, Science National Honor Society, Rho Kappa National Honor Society, Math Honor Society, and English National Honor Society.

Sarah Spear

Sarah Spear is currently a senior who committed to play Division 1 field hockey for Columbia University, a Division 1 school in New York, New York, as a defensive center-mid. During her four years as a Falcon, she was named 1st Team All-Region, 2ndTeam All-State, 2nd team MAX FH National High School Tournament, has been a two-time Virginia 6A State Champion, Regional Champion and a starter on the varsity field hockey team since her freshman year. Her academic accomplishments are just as impressive; she maintains a high GPA and has taken 13 AP classes.

According to Spear, she chose Columbia because academics and sports are both important and she was looking for a place to push me both academically and socially. She palms to earn a Biology degree and become a Genetic Engineer.  She knows the big city atmosphere is going to be different than Virginia Beach, but the coaching staff is amazing.

Fenwick Trimble

Fenwick Trimble is currently a junior who committed to play baseball at James Madison University (JMU), a Division 1 school in Harrisonburg, Virginia, as a shortstop.  He was awarded 1st Team All-Region, 2nd Team All Tidewater, and 2nd Team All-State. He chose JMU because of its athletics, academics, and the coaching staff.  He plans to major in business. Not only is he an unstoppable force in the baseball world, he is also a huge part of our school.  He is in SCA and National Honor Society.

According to Trimble, JMU is an exciting place to be and he looks forward to attending and playing baseball.