• April 26Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue their seasons.
  • April 25Seniors: graduation necessities will be delivered to school, or order through jostens.com.
  • April 20Congrats to Orchestra students who earned accolades in Orlando; 1st place Orchestra award and weekend Grand Champion.
  • April 16Spring spirit week and the spring pep rally will be held the week of April 22.

CHS Chamber Orchestra quartet members perform, prestigious Virginia Music Educators Association Conference

CHS Orchestra Director and Tri-M Music Honor Society Sponsor Mr. Fields and his Chamber Orchestra quartet members performed at the Virginia Music Educators Association Conference (VMEAC) in mid-November in Richmond, Virginia.

Chamber Orchestra was invited to perform at VMEAC, which is for all music educators in the state of Virginia, after a highly competitive application process in which a blind pane with no information on the school or students, judged their auditions.

According to Fields, only one other ensemble was chosen to perform in the Hamptons Roads area at this year’s conference.

Each conference focused on student-led musician performances around the state of Virginia. CHS Student performers included senior members: Concertmaster Violinist Zoe Leo and violinist Ashlyn Jackson,  as well as Principal Violist Braden Cruz, and Principal Cellist Elias Shapero.

“Ensembles from all around the state were invited to perform during a meeting of the Virginia Music Educators Association, with their performances interspersed as educators moved between activities. Teachers engaged in lectures tailored to professional practices as music educators while networking with others across the state, ” senior Principal Cellist Elias Shapero said, “My quartet, consisting of Zoe Leo and Ashlyn Jackson on violins, Braden Cruz on viola, and myself, participated. We are all seniors at Cox High School and actively participate in the Falcon Orchestra. Zoe serves as the Concertmaster violinist, Ashlyn contributes to bringing the violin section to life, Braden is the Principal Violist, and I serve as the Principal Cellist.”

Orchestra quartet members felt the pressure as they performed and observed numerous talented musicians from various schools.

“Students prepared the material completely on their own during class with very light guidance from me – a testament to their dedication to their craft,” Fields said.