‘Parents Night Out’ event offers shoppers’ freedom

The annual ‘Parents Night Out’ event is designed to encourage parents to join in the festive spirit of the holiday season and to go holiday gift shopping for their friends and family for a few hours child free.

Parents are offered the opportunity to drop their children off at the school on Friday, Dec. 13, from 5 -9 p.m. for high school students in organizations such as the SCA and Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow (VTFT) to essentially babysit. The cost for all four hours is $25.00 with a sibling discount of $20.00.

“This will be a great way to introduce younger kids to the school’s community and open the doors to them for the first time to experience what the school is like before they come later on in their high school career,” SCA sponsor Mrs. Gillespie said.

Students have created festive games and activities to occupy children’s time such as ornament and cookie decorating, as well as holiday coloring. These activities give children the chance to make heart-warming gifts for their loved ones, while having fun. The student organizations have also developed a ‘kiddie’ obstacle course, along with basketball and volleyball nets set up in the gym for kids to run around and release some energy.

Another special activity that gets the little ones excited for the holidays is a visit with Santa. Children will be able to tell Santa what they want for Christmas and take memorable pictures with him to take home. Pizza will be provided to the kids at no extra cost and as an end to the night, there will be a surprise holiday movie for the children to watch and hopefully calm them down before their parents come to pick them up.

Not only is this event is a perfect opportunity for children to show off their holiday pajamas, but more importantly, branch out and make new friends.

In previous years, members of that year’s senior class have led the event, but incorporating more organizations has given all students the chance to experience what it means to be a leader and a role model for children.

“Parent’s Night Out is a fun way to bring the community together. I really enjoy kids so I’m excited to meet everyone,” junior SCA member Caroline Holland said.