Diversity Club partners with honor societies, hosting Venezuelan Clothing Drive

Diversity Club is collecting gently used clothing for their new service project in order to help less fortunate families through the Venezuelan crisis,  as the socioeconomic and political crisis has caused massive emigration from Venezuela into countries such as Colombia, driving many families into poverty.

Due to the many families in need, the Diversity Club will  collect all types of gently used clothing of any size, as well as the most basic necessities like hygiene products and clothes through Friday, Dec. 20, to help families in needs, especially during the holidays. Collection boxes are located outside of rooms 106, 238, and 250.

The Diversity Club itself is new to the school this year and its main focus is to create an inclusive environment that brings students together from different backgrounds to make an impact on the outside community. Freshman Samantha Hwang is a member of the Diversity Club and will lead advertising for all of the club’s initiatives throughout the year, beginning with the Venezuelan Clothing Drive. 

“This club is such an amazing opportunity and I am glad to have found it in my first year of high school. The people are so welcoming and I can’t wait to continue making an impact on my community with projects like the clothing drive in the years to come,” Hwang said. 

The club has also partnered with Rho Kappa National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, and Science National Honor Society to encourage students to participate.

Diversity Club Co-Vice President senior Audra Chaffinch has been busy coordinating the partnership between all of the honor societies, the clothing drive, and all of the donations.

“It is exciting to see all our hard work pay off to leave our mark on Cox when we leave. Hopefully, this drive will become an annual event and our new club will make a lasting impact on the community,” Chaffinch said.