Students help the United Way one penny at a time

‘Penny Wars’, an SCA sponsored event, is taking place this week as a fundraiser for the United Way of South Hampton Roads. The fundraiser is a new initiative whereby students from each Class, or grade level, will bring in pennies to try to beat their peers in other Classes. Classes contribute to their ‘money jar’ outside of room 103 from Monday, Nov. 18- Friday, Nov. 22. The winner will be announced the following Monday.

Incentives were put in place to ensure student donations such as the the winning Class will receive a pajama day to not only be comfortable, but to show their Class spirit. The winning Falcon Class will also have the opportunity to participate in a “field day” in the gym during their Falcon Forty Advisory block that will include a variety of games and competition.

SCA sponsors Amanda Gillespie, Sabrina Shumate and Jennifer Nardelli saw the fundraiser at other schools around the city and thought the idea would be beneficial in our school as well, so they decided to try it out this year.

“All of the money is going to a local charity to help families in need during this holiday season.  And, it’s so easy for students to donate because anyone can participate and just about everyone has extra pennies to bring,” Gillespie said.

Along with the sponsors, SCA members have promoted and advertised the event for at least a month prior to give everyone the chance to donate and make a difference in the lives of even one or two families.

“Working ‘Penny Wars’ and seeing all of the students donate opens your eyes to see how much of a difference our school can make,” junior SCA member Lauren Barrineau said. “This year everyone should donate and encourage others to help raise money for the United Way.”