Tech. Ed. class builds additional baseball bleachers

Skylar Floyd
FALCON BASEBALL FANS look forward to utilizing the new bleachers added outside of the ‘diamond’ when the spring season comes around. Mr. Bouch’s Tech Ed. production class constructed the bleachers to add extra seating for fans and to replace some of the older seating.

New bleachers were recently added to the school’s baseball field courtesy of Technical Education teacher Mr. Bouch and his student production class after the school’s administration team noticed that the bleachers surrounding the ‘diamond’ were weathered.  All agreed that it was necessary to replace and update seating, as the rest of the baseball complex is also receiving an overhaul. 

And, what better way to teach a lesson than to utilize a hands-on learning project that enables students to get a feel for the elements that go into the ‘build’.  The project then becomes a win-win situation for all, as students, faculty, staff, parents and fans of the game are afforded more stable seating while cheering on their Falcons.

Bouch was thrilled with the opportunity administrators offered his students, not only because his class would make a contribution to the school, but more so because making bleachers from scratch is extremely hard. All the materials, building plans, measurements, etc. have to be precise in order to produce an effective outcome, one that will ultimately benefit the baseball program for years to come.

“My production students learned so much by working on this project, hands on, from start to finish,” Bouch said.

Junior Gavin Spencer plays baseball and is in Bouch’s Tech. Ed. production class. Spencer and his classmates began work on the bleachers during the second week of school and finished them in under a month.

“This experience taught me how to use a lot of new tools and the importance of working together,” Spencer said. “The team appreciates the new bleachers and it will certainly give our fans a better view of the game.”