Filed under Showcase, Video

Love Run/Walk benefits CHKD

The 15th annual CHKD Love Run/Walk to benefit the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters (CHKD) will be held at Thalia Elementary School on Saturday, Feb.16 at 9 a.m., where participants will take on a 5K course that begins at the elementary school and continues throughout the Thalia neighborhood.

A 1 Mile Fun Run that includes a mile course around the elementary school has also been set up and begins at 9:30 a.m.

Both events are open to all participants and awards will be given in age brackets and for those who wear the best contest while competing.

The CHKD Love Run began in 2003, when Princess Anne High School’s (PAHS) SCA president at the time was diagnosed with cancer. He was admitted to CHKD for treatment and once released from the hospital, began the CHKD Love Run/Walk event in order to give back to the “impeccable staff that helped him through his treatment.”

“Love Run is the most amazing event that helps to bring together the community and everyone should do it,” Shumate said.

Since then, PAHS has sponsored the race annually in order to raise money for both patients and staff members at CHKD. In 2013, CHS joined forces with PAHS in order to expand the event, together raising the event’s proceeds, as well as offer more city-wide involvement. Collectively, both schools, thanks to businesses and participants, have raised over $90,000 for CHKD since 2013 and plan to continue the fundraiser.

The school’s SCA sponsors Jennifer Nardelli and Sabrina Shumate have sponsored the Love Run for the past six years and look forward to the event each year as the funds raised enable sick children and their families to worry about one less thing.

¨Love Run is for a really good cause and everybody should come out because its super fun. You can walk, bike, walk your dog, or even scooter. You should come because it could help save a child’s life, SCA President Abbey Faro said.

If participants would not like to run the 5K or the mile fun run, they also have the choice to volunteer. These volunteers are a necessity, as they are crucial in the setup, clean up, and keeping runners safe, hydrated, and fed.

Pre-registration lasts through Thursday, Jan. 31, and includes a T-shirt, along with a $20 adult registration fee and a $10 fee for children 12 and under.

Anyone participants who register the day of the event are not guaranteed a T-shirt. Adults pay a $25 registration fee, while children 12 & under are $15.

Participants are encouraged to [email protected] on Twitter for updates, as well as visit the website: http://chkdloverun.jimdo.com for more information.

School contact information can be obtained from Sabrina Shumate, [email protected] or from one of the school’s event coordinators Ben Werve, [email protected] .

About the Contributors
Katherine Harriman, Student Life Editor

Junior Journalism II student

Zoe Hines, Multimedia Editor

Junior Journalism II student