Clubs sponsor ‘Hoodies for the holidays’

Care by Community (CBC) members and Earth Science teacher and sponsor Mrs. Beltz will hold ‘Hoodies for the Holidays’, an event that began last year in which CHS students donate supplies to local elementary school students from lower income families, such as college sweatshirts during the winter months. The purpose of giving these children hoodies is to not only keep them warm, but to support their future of still attending a college of their dreams. 

Some of these students in need live in the hotels at the Oceanfront or in tents close to their school. So, CBC members will visit various locations where elementary students spend time after school, such as Virginia Beach United Methodist Church and Seatack Recreation Center, in effort to help kids with homework or just to hang out. 

“This year, in partnership with Science National Honor Society (SNHS), every item donated to the ‘hoodies for the holidays’ drive is for their benefit. It’s so meaningful that we’re doing this because a lot of these kids barely have a warm jacket to get them through the winter, much less a thought about ever getting to attend college,” junior Jordan Parker-Ashe said.

The goal of both CBC and SNHS members is for the student body to come together to empower other schools’ educational goals through kindness during the holidays.

“My favorite part of the event is that the college emblem sweatshirts inspire the children to pursue their educational goals,” senior Kenzie Wall said. “And, this time of year is a great opportunity to give back to the community by keeping children warm in their dream hoodie.”