AP Government students volunteer

The Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) 2nd virtual learning day is not the only major event to occur on Tuesday, Nov. 6, but it is also the much anticipated election day.

Election day may not seem significant to high school students who are under the age of 18. However, for seniors in Advanced Placement (AP) Government, this is their opportunity to not only cast their vote, but to also volunteer their time at various voting locations throughout the city.

As part of an extra credit assignment, AP Government students have the opportunity to work at the voting stations in one of two shifts; 5 a.m. – 1 p.m. or 1 p.m. – 9 p.m.  Students are also asked to attend a mandatory training session this week to prepare themselves for the experience.

Providing that requirements are met, students will be given a 100% for a test grade, if, and only if, they complete their training and work the eight hour shift at the polls.

“The main purpose of the Student Election Page Program and for encouraging students to volunteer and participate in a campaign is to get students more involved in the political process,” AP Government teacher Mr. Homesly said.

All in all, students will volunteer for a total of nine hours and gain a more interactive, hands-on experience as to how the election day and voting process works in the United States.