One Lunch becomes permanent

For the first time ever, students will operate on a one lunch schedule all year long. One lunch is a 50 minute”alternative” lunch block that follows 3A or 3B each day.

During this 50 minute block, students all eat at the same time, all over the school, some even sitting on the floor. However, students do have the opportunity to visit teachers for extra help, complete make-up work, attend meetings, play games, or just visit with friends.  Last year, the school would sponsor activities such as basketball tournaments in the gym and karaoke in the auditorium.

One lunch itself became a “thing” during the second semester of last school year, when it was implemented into the schedule occasionally, giving the school a chance to test it out before full implementation.

Student activities, clubs, sports teams, etc., often use this time to meet and teachers are asked to hold “office hours” twice a week. During these office hours, teachers are required to be in their classrooms to assist students and answer questions.

“I think it is nice because it is a good opportunity to see your friends you might not have classes with,” junior Ashley McGrath said.

On the other hand, some students don’t like one lunch so much and would prefer that the schedule remain as it was.

As everyone, besides the seniors who have an excused block and can leave after 3rd block ends at 11:50 a.m., goes to lunch at the same time.  This does allow the lines to get a little out of hand, often making them long and unmanageable.

“Buying lunch can be very chaotic because the lines are so long,” junior Audra Chaffinch said.  “Sometimes by the time we get our lunch, we have about 15 minutes until the bell rings.”