CHKD Love Run/Walk spreads from PAHS to CHS

SENIORS DAVID VANGELUWE and Carter Fleck win the best transportation award at the CHKD Love Run last Saturday, February 22.

Staff

Love is powerful. And, so is the impact of CHKD’s Annual Love Run/Walk. Not only is love spread throughout the community, but it is a time for all to come together for a special cause. Thousands of dollars are raised to give back to an organization that helps the sickest of children fight for their lives in the Children’s Hospital of the Kings Daughters.

This year’s Love Run will be supported by both Princess Anne High School (PAHS) and Cox High School.

The CHKD Love Run was started by students at PAHS in an effort to give back when their SCA president was diagnosed with cancer ten years ago. He overcame his battle and was able to go to college and live his life, thanks to the help he received at CHKD.

Unfortunately, the Love Run also hits close to home for the school’s SCA Advisor and Biology teacher Sabrina Shumate. Shumate and her husband lost their son, Jack, in 2012 only a month after he was born when he contracted a virus in the hospital.

Last year, the PAHS SCA advisor and good friend of Shumate’s, decided to move the Love Run to Jack’s birthday on Feb. 23. Instead of holding the race on Valentine’s Day weekend, PAHS decided to hold the race in honor of Baby Jack.

“They [PAHS] helped make his first birthday one of the most special days. They made banners wishing Jack a happy first birthday in heaven, put his name on the race shirts, and had a table in his honor with a scrapbook that people could sign. It was the most special thing anyone could have done for my family and for my little boy,” Shumate said.

Over the past nine years, PAHS raised $40,000 to give back to CHKD through the Love Run. However, they had never before raised more than $5,000 for a single race.

Last year, more money was raised than ever before when Cox students and their families attended the event to support Shumate and her family.

“Princess Anne realized they were able to raise more money with our school’s help; so this year when they were planning the race they asked if Cox would be willing to co-sponsor. We, of course, said yes!” Shumate said.

The two schools have teamed up, working since September to put together the race of a lifetime.

“It’s been so fun working with all the SCA kids at Princess Anne. Putting together two groups of passionate bright minds makes the planning not only easier but 10 times more fun. We’ve all had a blast and we all really want to make this a huge success,” former senior SCA member Kyle Anderson said.

Not only has the school’s SCA lent time and energy to the cause; but countless other school organizations have contributed as well. Former Key Club Vice President Taesha Plonka, has worked to diligently get club members involved with the Love Run.

“I think the Love Run is such a great thing! All the Key Club executive board members have worked to make the Love Run a priority and to get our members to go and help, “Plonka said.

This year’s race will be held Feb. 7 at Thalia Elementary School. Registration begins at 8:00 a.m and the race will be at 9:00 a.m.  The two schools have set a goal to raise a combined total of $10,000. For more information, visit www.chkdloverun.jimdo.com.

“We are hoping to make it [Love Run] the best one yet! This is the first time the two schools are coming together to raise money for such a great organization,” Shumate said.