VTfT contracts teaching futures

VTfT STUDENTS NICOLE Tuckman, Cayte Lyonnais, and Ashley Garnell win teaching contracts with VBCPS after college graduation.

Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow (VTfT) is an elective program offered to students in 110-grade through 12-grade that allows students to experience teaching firsthand as a part of their class schedule, helping them prepare for teaching positions in the future.

Yesterday, Principal Dr.Riesbeck and VTfT teacher Mrs. Nardelli spent the morning tracking down senior VTfT students Cayte Lyonnais, Nicole Tuckman, and Ashley Garnell to present them with a teaching contract for Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) after graduation from college.

Annually, the VTfT program awards a handful of students around the city VBCPS teaching contracts. To be considered for the contract seniors have to complete a portfolio documenting their work in the VTfT program, maintain a certain gpa and be interviewed by two vice principals.

According to Tuckman, she spent her VTfT hours at Great Neck Middle School with an 8th-grade class and she loves how independent the students can be.

“I’m so excited to come back and start teaching; I can’t wait for this dream to become a reality,” Tuckman said.

Lyonnais, Tuckman, and Garnell will sign their contracts at the VBCPS School Board meeting on June 6.