Teacher of the Year: Deborah Erskine

TEACHER OF THE Year Deb Erskine accepts flowers after receiving her award.

Bayli Cook

“We can all learn something new every day; the world has so much to offer.  We just have to be brave enough to go and find it,” ~Deb Erskine.

This years’ Teacher of the Year is Dual Enrollment and Honors English 9 teacher Deborah Erskine.

Hailing from the North, she earned her degree from Central Michigan and began teaching. After seven years she moved to Virginia Beach where she continued to teach and is currently in her sixteenth year at the school.

In the classroom, Erskine goes out of her way to ensure that her students leave with brighter minds and smiles.

“Mrs. Erskine always keeps me guessing.  I never know what to expect when I walk in the door because she never does the same thing twice. She always has something new for us,” senior Mac Pugliese said.

Through sensory activities, such as tasting and smelling various items for a descriptive writing piece, Erskine creates an environment she saw in her own 9th grade English class.

“My English teacher called me into the hallway one day to discuss a paper and asked what I wanted to do.  Before I could answer, he said I was a great writer and should consider teaching.  He sparked interest in me,” Erskine said.

Once she chose to teach, she realized the most rewarding part was the “ah-ha” moment in a student’s face, as well as making connections with them.

Erskine also has taught collaborative English classes with fellow teacher Carol Paradiso where they had to work with several diverse groups of students.  Throughout their years of teaching together, they formed a friendship both in the classroom and outside the school as well.

“Deb’s collaborative abilities taught me about working together as a ‘team’ and her understanding of the needs of our students led to us developing lessons that were creative and innovative,” Special Education English teacher Carol Paradiso said.

Upon receiving the Teacher of the Year award this month, Erskine was not only honored that all her hard work is noticed and appreciated, but surprised and grateful that her family could be there to share the moment.

“Having my husband there to share in the moment was very sweet.  Grading papers and planning lessons takes a lot of time and I know that not all spouses would be as supportive as he is. So, it meant a lot for him to be there,” Erskine said.