Bowling battles continue

BOWLING CLUB MEMBERS meet other Beach teams weekly at Pinboys.

Each Tuesday promptly at 3 p.m., bowlers assemble at Pinboys Bowling Alley on Laskin Rd. for competition and time with friends. What makes this particular league different; however, is that this Bowling League consists of teams from high schools across the Beach District.

For $7 a week, each bowler and their [respective] team face fierce competition. And, just like other teams facing competition, each team strives dilligently to improve their record.

In its second year of existence, the school’s Bowling Club has seen some turnover in membership, mainly because last year the club’s founders were mostly seniors. But, after graduating the club’s initial members last June, eager freshman and sophomores stepped in to take their place.

Currently, two teams represent the school: Team Talon and Team ‘Asparehegets.’

German teacher Larry Becker co-sponsors the club with Spanish teachers Stephanie Harris and Pat Ormsby.

“We only have around two returners, but the club has attracted a lot of new people this year,” Becker said.

Although Becker is the Bowling Club ‘go-to’ guy, Harris and Ormsby are present the majority of Tuesdays, cheering on the school’s teams.

“It has been great to be able to see students find a way to get involved with their peers not only in school, but in a community,” Harris said.

According to senior Tyler Hylton, the players thoroughly benefit from their experience and look forward to the games throughout the week. Everyone anticipates getting together with buddies for a game they all enjoy.

Members play October-February, the season commencing in a tournament to determine league winners. Hoping to recapture the school’s 1st place title, mid-way through the season,Team Talon clawed their way to 3rd place, while Team Asparehegets holds tight in 7th place.

Not only are the games enjoyable, offering students who wouldn’t necessarily interact social interaction, but, they also provide relief from the stresses that define much of the high school experience.

“I’m a new member this year, but the time I spend playing really clears my head because I focus on bowling and almost forget the world going on around me,” Hylton said.