Cox welcomes new healthier food options

SENIORS NOAH SPIEGELBLUM and Sarah Moore ctritique the new lunch menu.
Lauren Harris

School lunches have long been criticized for their nutritional shortfalls. This year, however, Virginia Beach Public Schools, along with thousands of other schools across the nation, have decided to face this issue head on by completely revamping school lunch menus.

Now, the school only offers healthier lunch choices. Some of the changes include: whole-grain versus white bread, smaller portion sizes with less calories, and lower sodium and fat content in hopes that students will develop healthier lifestyles not only in school, but at home as well.

Cafeteria Manager Tameka Stull is behind the changes 100 percent.

“I hope this will be the start many kids need to help them eat healthier, lower sodium, foods. Especially while they’re young so they can carry this into adulthood,” Stull said.

‘Coffee Shop’ the student run breakfast café, once home to sweet treats for students, will no longer be able to sell their money making items such as, cookies, muffins, Ramen Noodles, and Chick-fil-A biscuits. ‘Coffee Shop’ is managed by teacher, Morgan Bosch, who has been helping to create a menu that is both nutritional, yet will appeal to the students.

“There will be a loss in profit because we aren’t allowed to sell our popular items like lemonade and muffins anymore but, because there is no alternative, I think people will buy the new goods that we are offering,” Bosch said.

These changes, at the moment, have a negative effect on the profit to both the Cafeteria and ‘Coffee Shop’, but the hope of both staffs are that these effects will be short term, and students will begin to enjoy their new healthy options.

“I will miss coffee shop cookies and Chick-fil-A biscuits but I understand the benefits of these changes and plan to start eating healthier,” senior Ryann Womble said.

The main goal of these new, healthier options is to create more nutritious lunches that, in return, will lead to healthier students. These changes may seem insignificant, but they are steps toward a greater goal.

“I have hoped to see healthier school lunches and options ever since my children started school. I know these new healthy changes that have been made will make an impact on our kids’ lives and ultimately the future of our nation,” parent Kathy Harris said.