• February 20Leadership Workshop will begin Friday, March 22 - Sunday, March 24, at Silver Beach on the Eastern Shore.
  • February 20Spring sports tryouts will begin on Tuesday, Feb. 20, after school and continue through Friday, Feb. 23. Check with coaches for more details.
  • February 20The annual Falcon Forum conference will take place the week of March 18- March 22.
  • February 19Congratulations to Falcon wrestling for their 5A state championship win last weekend.

Student-athletes sign “letters of intent” to colleges/universities

The first week in February generally marks the annual, nationwide “Signing Day” when senior student-athletes put pen to paper and ‘sign’ a letter of intent to attend the college/university of their choice, to “play” the sport in which they excel. However, CHS generally holds a fall and spring signing day in addition due to the many athletes who commit to play their chosen sport.

In the past, stands in the gymnasium would be filled with parents, teachers, friends, along with local news outlets, watching and waiting eagerly for the moment their student becomes official in regard to a [respective] college/university.  Now though, the long-awaited ceremonies are held in the library, often during One Lunch, so families and friends cannot always attend. Also in the past, there were so many student-athletes who committed, venues were often packed.  To remedy the situation, instead of only asking students to “sign” on one day of the year, three different days now mark the event during the fall, winter and spring seasons.

This year was markedly different, perhaps because only four students “signed” their letter, but the anticipation and excitement was still evident. Only two sports were represented this fall, as three baseball and one field hockey player participated.

Senior Jake Collucci was one of the three baseball players to sign, as he will head to the University of North Carolina, Greensboro, next year.

“Overall, I enjoyed Signing Day”, even though it was done in the fall.  I still had the support of my family and friends who were able to attend,” Collucci said. “I’m happy to have the opportunity in general and I’m excited for this next chapter in my life.”

Student-athletes who signed ‘letters of intent’ include:

Austin Irby         Baseball              East Carolina University

Jake Collucci          Baseball            University of North Carolina, Greensboro

Parker Wright         Baseball          University of North Carolina, Greensboro

Megan Spear          Field Hockey         Dartmouth College