Halloween’s history proves terrifying

Falcons speak about a few of their favorite Halloween memories

Halloween is an annual tradition/holiday that occurs every October 31, with a backstory more spooky than meets the eye.

According to history.com, the tradition of Halloween originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. Essentially, the Celtics believed that the night before the new year, each year on October 31, the boundary between the world of the dead and the world of living became blurred. They would celebrate Samhain, when it was believed that the ghost of the dead returned to Earth.

Furthermore, the Celts not only believed that the otherworldly spirits caused trouble and damaged farm crops but also made it easier for Druids or Celtic priests to predict the future.

To commemorate the event, Druids built sacred bonfires, where people gathered to burn crops and sacrifice animals to Celtic deities. During the celebration, the Celtics wore costumes that typically consisted of animal heads and skins, and attempted to read fortunes.

Now, Halloween is a fun celebration where children of all ages go door-to-door trick or treating for candy, fully covered in decorative costumes on the spookiest night of the year. All while haunted houses and ghoulish decorations create a chilling atmosphere and fill the night with fear.

In order to join in the ghoulish fun, Falcons were asked Halloween-inspired questions such as their favorite Halloween experience, as well as their favorite types of candy.

One of senior Aiden Clark’s favorite Halloween memories includes hanging out with his family and friends.

“My favorite Halloween memory was probably when I was little. I was hanging out with my friends and my family and we saw a couple of animals,”  Clark said. “I’m definitely dressing up as Crocodile Dundee for Halloween.”

Sophomore Daniel Barrerio enjoys going to his friend’s house to enjoy jelly-flavored donuts on Halloween.

“My favorite Halloween memory is going to my friend Nate’s house to eat some Halloween donuts,” Barrerio said. “My favorite Halloween donut is definitely jelly.”