• April 26Good luck to spring sports athletes as they continue their seasons.
  • April 25Seniors: graduation necessities will be delivered to school, or order through jostens.com.
  • April 20Congrats to Orchestra students who earned accolades in Orlando; 1st place Orchestra award and weekend Grand Champion.
  • April 16Spring spirit week and the spring pep rally will be held the week of April 22.

How-to prepare and protect ourselves before hurricanes strike

The Atlantic Hurricane Season officially began on June 1 and will not end until November 30. As of late though, weather across the nation seems to be changing as we have incurred the most extreme heat wave in history. 

And with two months left in this particular weather season, more than 12 hurricanes have already developed and hit areas along the East Coast. It is common that CHS and the surrounding community start off in the direct path of some of the biggest hurricanes, but the storms will often turn out into the Atlantic before directly hitting our area. We do, however, get remnants of the hurricanes such as heavy rain and wind.

There are steps, though, that people can take to protect themselves, their possessions, and property before a hurricane hits.

Step One:  It is essential to make sure there isn’t anything large lying around in the yard, since it could damage the houses due to strong winds.

Step Two: Make sure devices and electronics are charged and ready to go prior to the hurricane. Have a charged portable charger in hand so you don’t lose communication. 

Step Three: Cover up windows or doors to ensure safety. Be ready to turn off the power as well. 

Step Four: Stock up on perishable food items as well as water.

Step Five: Designate a room for shelter. This room should be in the middle of the house on the first floor. No windows should be in that safe room.

Step Six: Prep an emergency kit. This kit should include necessities such as cash, blankets, toiletries, flashlight etc.  

Step Seven: Be arranged to evacuate if necessary.