Students “turn over a new leaf” for the new year

As the new year begins, people all around the world create lists of entertaining and beneficial goals for January: the month of new beginnings and change.

It’s common for people to make New Year’s resolutions at the beginning of each new year in order to improve themselves throughout the year.

According to History.com, the ancient Babylonians are said to have been the first people to make New Year’s resolutions as long as 4,000 years ago. “If the Babylonians kept to their word, their (pagan) gods would bestow favor on them for the coming year. If not, they would fall out of the gods’ favor—a place no one wanted to be.”

However, New Year’s resolutions have changed since the Babylonians. Now they are designed to alter one’s undesired traits or to fulfill personal goals. Popular choices can include drinking more water to a new exercise regimen.

CHS students throughout the school’s halls were asked about their New Year’s Resolutions and how they planned on sticking to them.

Some answers included were:

“My New Year’s Resolution is to drink more water,” sophomore River Aman said.

“My New Year’s Resolution is to bench over 190 by the end of the year. I will accomplish this goal by going to the rec center after school and lifting with the Cox baseball team,” sophomore Alijah Trone said.

” My New Year’s resolution is to find something to smile about every morning when I get home from work,” Geometry and Algebra II/Trig teacher Mrs. McConnell said.

Check out the video above to hear what other goals Falcons plan on achieving this year.