Falcon Orchestra chosen for national stage, Carnegie Hall bound

ORCHESTRA DIRECTOR KEVIN Fields leads his students in a holiday performance during the holiday season. Fields’ orchestra program has excelled over the past few years even though he splits his teaching time between two different schools. (courtesy of Kevin Fields)

For the first time ever, the Falcon Orchestra will perform at the National Band and Orchestra Festival at Carnegie Hall in New York City (NYC), a musical venue made famous by the legendary Tchaikovsky whose performance has since led to the showcase of musical legends. The orchestra program was not only accepted, but were one of nine school orchestras selected nationally to perform at the festival.  Orchestra Director Kevin Fields decided to apply for this particular festival due to the success of the program over the past several years, even through the pandemic. 

“I cannot think of a more deserving group because these kiddos have worked so hard throughout the entire pandemic and have grown every single year,” Fields said.

The students will have a once-in-a-lifetime experience with Fields, who has worked hard with his students to make this happen. In order for the Falcon Orchestra to attend Carnegie Hall this upcoming spring, the students must fundraise.  The trip to New York has proven to be quite costly for students, however, as each attendee is asked to pay $1800. The price includes a three-night stay in the city, two Broadway shows, two NYC activities  In order to reach their goal, orchestra members need support from every outlet possible. 

“Being able to go to Carnegie would mean the world to me,” junior Ashlyn Jackson said. “We plan on holding a series of fundraisers through the holidays and into next year to help us all get to New York.” 

Fundraisers will be run in conjunction with company Funds2Orgs, along with John B. Dey Elementary School, where Fields splits his time teaching. Beginning with a shoe drive that will last until Friday, January 26, of next year, Funds2Orgs will purchase new/gently used shoes collected at CHS and the elementary school and then sell them to developing countries so they, too, can develop their own businesses. The goal is to collect more than 3,500 pairs of shoes.

The National Band and Orchestra Festival will take place Tuesday, April 5- Saturday, April 8, 2023, and the Falcons performance will take place on Friday, April 7, at 11 a.m.

According to Orchestra student senior Kaine Goff, she can’t believe that they are going to the most famous stage in the world;  she didn’t think she would ever be fortunate enough to a part of such a fantastic experience.