Choral students perform, annual winter concert

To celebrate the holidays, the school’s chorus students showcased their talents in this year’s winter concert. This concert was the first in-person performance since the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic. Although the pandemic  caused limited resources for teachers and forced students into online learning, Choral Director Caroline Stahl made it work for both her and her students.

In fact, these resilient group of students put on quite a show, full of holiday arrangements for families and supporters.

The doors opened at 7 p.m. with a strong performance from the Mixed Chorus students who sang “O Christmas Tree”, arranged by Clark Tyler and was followed up with a brief welcome speech from Stahl.

According to Stahl, even through the most difficult teaching experiences, she still loves to inspire her students and remains more proud than ever for their tenacity through COVID.

The concert then moved into a slightly different direction with a moving performance of “The Birds” arranged by Benjamin Britten. The Mixed Chorus then closed their set with “Holly Jolly Santa Claus”, arranged by Mark Brymer.

After a brief intermission, the Madrigals, which includes a different group of students took the stage to perform their set, opening up with a performance of “Away in a Manger” arranged by Ruth Elaine Schram. And, in the spirit of diversity, the Madrigals also sang a rendition of “Ha Shalom” arranged by Greg Giplin, with Timmy Anderson on violin.

Other songs performed included: “Baloo Baleerie” arranged by Ruth Elaine Schram, and the grand finale of the night came with “The Man with the Bag and Santa Baby”, arranged by Paul Langford.

Overall, the concert was a heartfelt way to welcome the holidays and to showcase their version of the return of in-person events after lockdown.