Falcon Stage Company’s one-act ends, earning 4th place in VHSL

Falcon Stage Company’s (FSC) One-Act production of Flowers for Algernon ended it’s one night only performance last week in the school’s auditorium in front a packed audience. Previously, FSC traveled to Salem High School to compete in the Virginia High School League (VHSL) One-Act Competition along with eight other schools, placing 4th overall against several other strong performances.

The production itself, Flowers for Algernon, is about an intellectually disabled man who goes through experimental brain surgery in hopes to increase his IQ. By doing so, he matures intellectually but also emotionally as he goes through the process of falling in love and creating connections he has never had before.

The show was directed by senior Sophia Thietje, who had planned on taking the lead for this particular show since her sophomore year. Thietje was assisted by stage manager and co-director senior Hannah Wroton, technical director senior Alison Pennington and FSC sponsor Michelle Machay. The lead cast members included sophomore Jacob Miller, juniors Joshua Bryan, Sydney Strickland, and Brennen Risden, as well as senior Zoe Ferrell.

“The cast and crew for this show were absolutely amazing! They went above and beyond for everything I asked them to do for this show. They worked so hard and their effort paid off in the end,” Thietje said.

Both cast and crew worked for months in preparation for the One-Act, sometimes until 7 p.m., to fine tune their 40 minute performance. And, just like any other team or club, spending so much time together leads to a camaraderie that sometimes only those involved can understand.

“The cast and crew became such a tight knit family. Everyone worked together and gave their best effort to bring this powerful show justice,” Risden said.