• February 20Varsity girls soccer has a scrimmage versus First Colonial @ First Colonial at 4 p.m.

• February 20'Buddies Helping Buddies' workshop will be held here at Cox on Saturday, March 2 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

• February 20Applications for Class and SCA officers are available outside of room 103 and are due Monday March 4th.

• February 20The annual fashion show,“Canvas to Clothing”, will be held on Thursday, Feb. 28, at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium.

Filed under Student Life

Cheer squads bring spirit

Staff
THE CHEERLEADERS SMILE big after placing at their competition. The girls worked hard every week to be prepared for their performance.

The junior varsity and varsity cheer teams are highly involved in the school activities during their season running from the beginning of summer until the end of February. The team consists of a sideline team which has  junior varsity and varsity team members and competition cheer team. Cheerleaders are offered the opportunity to participate on both of these teams.

The sideline cheer team attends all football and basketball games where they motivate the student athletes to play to their best ability with a series of jumps, tumbling and chants. The cheerleaders’ weekly practices help prepare them for these games.

“Sideline cheer has allowed me to grow as a leader and meet new people that make our team whole. No matter what, we always learn from our mistakes and come out stronger. Friday night football games are the highlight of the season because students, families and athletes come together to showcase our school pride, ” junior Taylor Trafton said.

Competitive cheer practices almost everyday, starting in August to prepare for October competitions. At competitions, the squad competes against other schools in the district with a routine they created including stunts, tumbling, cheers and jumps. 

The team also participates in events such as their cheer camp held for kids during the summer, fall and winter pep rallies, the fall bonfire, the homecoming float parade and spirit walks throughout the school year.

“Being a part of the competitive cheer squad has given me a platform to showcase my leadership qualities and excel as a cheerleader. Stunting and tumbling together brings out the best in each of us. Together we achieved greatness on the mat and surpassed many injuries throughout the season leading us to placing second in the region. Teamwork and dedication are what makes competitive cheer what it is today,” junior Deme Malbon said.