• December 10Awards will be given to NJROTC students Wednesday, December 12 at 6:00, in the cafeteria.

• December 10There will be a home game against Princess Anne High School tomorrow, December 11, starting at 5:30.

• December 10Longwood University will be conducting onsite admissions on Tuesday, Dec 11 in guidance. If you have any questions speak to Ms. Francis in guidance.

• December 10The next We Are VB meeting will take place on Thursday, Dec. 13th in room 132 during One Lunch.

Filed under Student Life

Cheer squads bring spirit

Staff
THE CHEERLEADERS SMILE big after placing at their competition. The girls worked hard every week to be prepared for their performance.

The junior varsity and varsity cheer teams are highly involved in the school activities during their season running from the beginning of summer until the end of February. The team consists of a sideline team which has  junior varsity and varsity team members and competition cheer team. Cheerleaders are offered the opportunity to participate on both of these teams.

The sideline cheer team attends all football and basketball games where they motivate the student athletes to play to their best ability with a series of jumps, tumbling and chants. The cheerleaders’ weekly practices help prepare them for these games.

“Sideline cheer has allowed me to grow as a leader and meet new people that make our team whole. No matter what, we always learn from our mistakes and come out stronger. Friday night football games are the highlight of the season because students, families and athletes come together to showcase our school pride, ” junior Taylor Trafton said.

Competitive cheer practices almost everyday, starting in August to prepare for October competitions. At competitions, the squad competes against other schools in the district with a routine they created including stunts, tumbling, cheers and jumps. 

The team also participates in events such as their cheer camp held for kids during the summer, fall and winter pep rallies, the fall bonfire, the homecoming float parade and spirit walks throughout the school year.

“Being a part of the competitive cheer squad has given me a platform to showcase my leadership qualities and excel as a cheerleader. Stunting and tumbling together brings out the best in each of us. Together we achieved greatness on the mat and surpassed many injuries throughout the season leading us to placing second in the region. Teamwork and dedication are what makes competitive cheer what it is today,” junior Deme Malbon said.