Falcon Stage Company asked to compete in major competition

Fine Arts students will attend the Zeider American Dream Theater Proteus Festival Competition.

The Falcon Stage Company, a branch of the school’s theater program, has been asked to compete in the first ever Zeider American Dream Theater Proteus Festival Competition. Students will compete in the theater genre next weekend Friday, Oct. 5 – Sunday, Oct. 7.

According to thez.org/proteusfestival website, the festival itself is a means for Fine Arts students to present a series of unique performances, presentations, and original works in three creative disciplines: music, theater, and film. Along with these performances and film screenings, there are panel discussions with artists, producers, directors, and other creative professionals.

Theater teacher Michelle Machay and her upper level Falcon Stage Company students were asked to participate in the competition due to their 1st place win last year in the Virginia High School League’s One Act Competition for their “First Person Shooter” production.

“I am looking forward to all the different artists that will be there, and allowing my students to be able to explore the various careers they can do in the arts,” Machay said.

Machay plans to bring Bryan Boyle, Madison Johnstone, Josh Bryan, Taylor Fuller, Allison Pennington, and Danika Castleberry.  The students will be given a prompt by the judges to use to create a production in three days.

“Competing in this competition is a huge honor and to simply say that I am proud of my students would be a grave understatement,” Machay said.