Can book club bounce back?

Can book club bounce back?

Book club is a small group of likeminded people who gather on Tuesdays and Thursdays every five weeks for thirty to forty-five minutes. During this time, students discuss and review novels of their choice.

A list of books curated by the high school librarians is given to the students in book club. From the list, the students can choose which books interest them. Most of the books are about 300 pages long and the avid readers are able to finish them in a week.

Although people in book club are always welcoming to new members and eager to share their thoughts, the number of students attending the meetings are dwindling. “Due to the amount of extracurricular activities and AP classes that students are in they are too busy to join the club” according to the sponsor and school librarian, Mrs. Dember.

Potential members may be discouraged from joining because they are worried it’s similar to English class, but the members and sponsor of book club have much more creative discussions. In fact the two are nothing alike. In English class students discuss plot, climax, analysis, and other elements of a story. In Book Club members have more opinionated and subjective conversations. They talk about the characters, what they thought of the book, and what they would do if they were in the character’s situation.

“We never talk about books for school. Book club isn’t like English class, its fun!” explained Mrs. Dember.