February teacher of the month: Ms. Meyer

ENGLISH TEACHER ASHLEY Meyer incorporates modern elements into her teaching.

Seyler Robertson

“Sometimes it is the people no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine.” –Alan Turing, The Imitation Game

Marilyn Manson’s hit single, “The Beautiful People,” blares from room 210 into the English hallway, where students who roam the halls look into the classroom with an eye of curiosity.

Tenth and eleventh grade English teacher, Ashley Meyer, is one of few people who is a true fan of Manson’s rather unique sound. She plays this song to relate to her lesson on Columbine, the school shooting in April of 1999 in Colorado, in which she analyzes and gathers the opinions of those who claim that Marilyn Manson influenced the two shooters.

The lesson on Columbine was a sub-topic to, “The C Word in the Hallways,” an editorial by Anna Quindlen that her Advanced Placement students were analyzing. Incorporating music into her lessons is one of the many unique modern teaching techniques she uses to encourage her students, as well as engaging them in her lesson.

Meyer incorporates modern elements, like news clips, music, and articles to keep her students both up to date and well as engaged.

“I think that having a good welcoming class room helps. [It is] a place where you can laugh…stuff that they [students] would enjoy, using music, using technology. I try to have journal prompts that are creative, maybe people might be interested in, knowing a little bit about current events helps a little too,” Meyer said.

Although she had a “dysfunctional” childhood, her interest in English and school at a young age motivated her to eventually become one of the only ones of her friends to attend college.

26 years old and a recent graduate from Old Dominion University, Meyer has been teaching core as well as AP English at the school for 2 years.

“It was a mix of wanting to inspire kids about a subject that I love, but also wanting to be there at a time in student’s lives that’s tumultuous and volatile,” Meyer said. “High school is a roller coaster.”

Her modern teaching methods mixed with her love of classical text create a balanced learning environment in which students can enjoy the aspects of modern technology and still appreciate traditional learning.

“I appreciate that she is down to earth, can relate to her students, and challenges us to reach our full potential,” said student Chris O’Brien.