University of Virginia: graduate Ally McNulty

Graduate Ally McNulty now attends the University of Virginia (UVA) in Charlottesville. As a 2015 graduate, she has had enough time to transition to college life. In her second year she’s majoring in economics and is a Resident Advisor (RA) in a freshman dorm on campus.

Q: How was your transition from high school to college? What were some difficulties you ran into?

A: “It was pretty good, but the workload is a lot harder, and it’s not like the work in high school. It’s not just busy work. This work takes a lot of time and a lot of thinking.”

Q: How did you cope with being away from home? Was it difficult?

A: “Kind of at first, but you get used to it. I just made friends, joined clubs, etc.”

Q: In your opinion, what’s better about college than high school, or just living at home in general?

A: “Definitely freedom of day-to-day activities. Not even the freedom of it, just not having to tell somebody what I’m doing all the time.”

Q: What was it about UVA that made you want to go there?

A: “Well it’s a really good school in a really pretty town.  Plus, I liked all the traditions UVA has and the history here.”

Q: What was it like getting used to having roommate?

A: “Not bad, I was lucky to have a good roommate and not have any problems; but not everyone is that lucky.”

Q: What’s differences are there in being a college freshman and a college sophomore?

A: “Well, sometimes I forget I’m even a second year because I still live in dorms and I’m an RA. So, sometimes I feel like I’m a first year. The difference now though is that I know my way around campus and I’ve made lots of friends.”

Q: Do you have any advice for other students who will be graduating and going to college next year?

A: “Join clubs to get involved and definitely go to the activities fair.  It’s competitive in college, no matter where you go. So, just don’t let up. Remember to put school first because that’s why you’re here. Oh, and be an RA cause it’s great!”