SENIOR SAM ADAMS visits Flagler College and interviews sophomore Jenna Barnum about her time in college.

Flagler College visit

December 3, 2015

Cox High School alumnus and Flagler College sophomore Jenna Barnum gives seniors some quick tips about Flagler, a private college in Florida:

Q: How did you feel about the initial transition from high school to college? How do you feel now? Why?

A: At first, I felt a little bit intimidated to transition from high school to college. I grew accustomed to my surroundings at home and the familiar faces of my friends and family but I was ready to get out of the house and be on my own. Now, I could not imagine myself anywhere else. I am thankful that I have the opportunity to be able to get out of Virginia Beach and experience a completely different environment/life. Also I enjoy the freedom of having my own apartment and not having to listen to my mom telling me do the dishes. I do the dishes when I want!

Q: What is the biggest struggle you’ve faced so far in college?

A: The biggest struggles I have faced so far since I have been here are time management and prioritizing my money. Too often I find myself wanting to go to the beach and spending my money on tacos and extracurriculars.

Q: How far is your school from Virginia Beach? How often do you come home? How often does your family visit?

A: Florida is about a 10/11 hour drive to Virginia so I do not come home often, which I think is the point of going to college- to get as far away from home as possible. However, I do come home for summer break but now that I have my own apartment I might stay in Florida a majority of winter break. My family visits me about twice a year. Parent’s weekend is typically the end of October so my dad comes to visit for that weekend, and my mom and sister come down for my sister’s spring break.