JUNIOR MARGOT DAVIS waits for the VTFT city-wide symposium to begin.

Beach VTFT students prepare for internships

January 20, 2015

The Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow (VTFT) class recently took a field trip to the Advanced Technology Center (ATC) for a city-wide symposium. The school’s students, along with VTFT peers from other Beach District schools, came together to learn from professionals throughout the school system.

When the VTFT students arrived, they heard a speech from the Virginia Beach Superintendent then split into groups. Each group went to different classrooms to hear from many different types of teachers. Students also heard from principals, administrators, and substitutes in order to prepare them for an elementary school internship that every VTFT student will participate in during the second semester.

“It was great to hear from teachers around the city and it was comforting to know that they didn’t really know what they wanted to do with their life while they were in high school either,” senior Susannah Robertson said.

VTFT students heard from the school’s Library Media Specialist Judy Rhea and Assistant Principal Kellie Mason during the symposium. Mason and Rhea spoke to give students insight on the life of a teacher or administrator, as well as to give students advice with their upcoming internships.

English teacher Kyle Goodson is the school’s new VTFT teacher and accompanied his students to the recent city-wide event.

“Students were exposed to different careers in education and saw the great variety of ways they can impact our schools. They also received encouragement from past VTFT students and others to pursue these careers. It was a valuable learning experience,” Goodson said.