New York Fashion Week trends in CHS hallways

September 26, 2022

After two long years of virtual fashion shows, New York Fashion Week is back face-to-face and bigger than ever. Influencers, celebrities, and fashion connoisseurs from all over the world have landed in Manhattan to kick start the next month of global fashion weeks. 

New York Fashion Week, dubbed ‘NYFW’ by insiders, began last weekend and continued through the week, and just as NYFW ends, London Fashion Week began on Saturday, September 17. As the famed week began, designers showcased brand new women’s ready-to-wear looks, some of which are already trending in the halls of the school. 

As designers such as Ulla Johnson, Badgley Mischka, N. Hollywood, and Tibi debuted their Spring/Summer 2023 ready to wear collections, the overarching trends of their collections are setting the tone for the fashion of the next few months. 

Students seem to enjoy how simple and casual fashion has become over the past few years. It has always been important to look good at school, but now it’s becoming easier than ever to throw on the simplest outfit and still look put together. 

“I’m really enjoying the comeback of the basics this season! It makes it much easier to put together an outfit and still look put together and trendy,” junior Emma McCormack said. 

In one of the first shows of the week N. Hollywood showed their twenty-five look collection on the runway. 

According to www.voguerunway.com, the collection features a mixture of natural colors and fabrics that have the perfect mix of beautifully tailored and oversized style clothing. 

Each look had a neutral tone top with a matching pair of shorts or pants. 

One student was seen wearing a similar style of outfit that featured a khaki colored skirt and a long sleeve black knit.

Later in the week, Ulla Johnson and Badgley Mischka brought back bright florals. Though both designers incorporated florals and frills on the runway, each of them made sure to incorporate their own design style in each look that was featured. 

Ulla Johnson used a pallet of dark purples, burnt yellows, and bright emerald greens in the fifty look collection. There is also a theme of oversized florals and layered ruffles in several of the looks.

At school however, these trends were spotted through the halls but in a much more understated manner. Junior Julliette Chavane is one such student. Chavane recently wore a green floral mini dress paired with an oversized green knit cardigan.

Badgley Mischka, on the other hand, took the floral motif in a different direction. In their forty look collection, several sets were featured that had white ruffles and small pink and purple flowers. 

This comes after the rise of the brand LoveShackFancy, which also features similar light colored florals and layered cotton ruffles. 

Falcons have been seen wearing different variations of this preppy and girly style ever since students came back face to face. 

The brand Tibi showed the runway several looks that channeled the 90s aesthetic. Over the past few years, 90s clothing has definitely made a strong comeback in schools, social media, and now at fashion week. 

At school, students are showing their own take on the 90s with plaid skirts and white smocked tops. Though the runway had some more unique looks than those seen on Falcons, it’s safe to say that 90s clothes are here to stay. 

Fashion can be seen as just clothes to some, but to others it is a distinct sense of self-expression. From light and girly to dark and grungy, most people put on their clothes to define themselves to the outworld. This year’s NYFW might have only been six days long, but it showed the world a preview into the fashion world and trends for the next year.

To see some student visuals visit our Pinterest: Falcon Press Life Pinterest