Student journalist takes top honors

May 12, 2016

SENIOR JOURNALISM STUDENT Jessica Peck was chosen for this year's Col. Charles E. Savedge Scholarship.
Hayley Needham
SENIOR JOURNALISM STUDENT Jessica Peck was chosen for this year’s Col. Charles E. Savedge Scholarship.

Senior Jessica Peck was recently awarded the prestigious Virginia High School League (VHSL) Col. Charles E. Savedge Scholarship and named the school’s Student Journalist of the Year.

Currently in her third year as a Journalism student, she has been an Editor-in-Chief of the Falcon Press online newspaper for the past two years, publishing work consistently throughout.

Journalism I, II, and III teacher and Falcon Press newspaper Adviser Erin Tonelson has taught Peck for the past three years and noticed quickly that she was a standout writer when she was only a sophomore.

“Jessica was so quiet and a little bit naive, but when she wrote her words came alive,” Tonelson said.  “I chose her as one of five Editors-in-Chief when she was a junior because I saw her potential.  What’s really cool is that now, she sees her potential.”

The Savedge Scholarship is awarded annually to one graduating senior with a minimum of two staff years on either a yearbook, newspaper, or equivalent participation through contribution to a scholastic publication.  The student must also demonstrate one or more of the following personal qualities: leadership, writing skills, design aptitude, creativity, organization, industry, teamwork, and/or character.

“It’s nice to be recognized for all of the time and effort I’ve put into the paper,” Peck said. “It has honestly shaped me into who I am today.”