Marching Falcons: sophomore Haley Brown

February 24, 2016

Sophomore Haley Brown is a valued member of the school’s marching band and has been for the past two years. Striving to perfect her skills on the alto saxophone, she adds some extra flare to the Marching Falcons.

Q: What instrument do you play in the School Marching Band?

A: “I play the alto saxophone. I’ve played the alto saxophone for a total of five years and I absolutely love it.”

Q: What is your marching band practice schedule?

A: “We have band camp for two weeks in the summer, which is approximately 100 hours total. Our full school season runs from September to November in which we have a total of seven competitions during the season that take place on Saturdays.”

Q: What is your favorite thing about the school band?

A: “I enjoy the fact that you get to know people before school even starts because marching band begins in the summer. This was very helpful as a freshman because I knew people before the year even began.”

Q: What awards has the band recently won?

A: “This year we received the title of Group 3 Open 2015 State Champions. We are in Group 3 because of the number of students in our band. The group you are placed in is based on student participation.”

Q: What is one thing you want to tell your peers that they probably don’t know about band?

A: “If you want to try an instrument, we have a pre-camp in the summer for you to come and see what it’s like to play. I will also say that our school’s football staff has been very generous to us because they let us practice and perform on their game field. I would love to spread awareness for our band because we are amazing, just like all of our sports teams.”