Anderson Cooper speaks out

January 29, 2016

JOURNALISM STUDENTS TAKE a "selfie" while waiting for guest speaker Anderson Cooper to take the stage.
Staff
JOURNALISM STUDENTS TAKE a “selfie” while waiting for guest speaker Anderson Cooper to take the stage.

Journalism students were given the opportunity to attend a Norfolk Forum guest speaker event last night at Chrysler Hall featuring CNN reporter and 60 Minutes anchor Anderson Cooper.

At the start of the evening, the Norfolk Forum emcee recognized the school and its Journalism program for attending, explaining that the Dollar Tree Corp. enables students throughout Hampton Roads to attend such events by providing free tickets for various programs.

Cooper began the night by remembering a local police dog killed in the line of duty, offering a thank you to those who put their lives on the line daily. He went on to discuss his personal background and introduction to the reporting field, gave some insight into political moderating, and offered ethical anecdotes about the duty of a news reporter.

One of the school’s online student newspaper Editors-in-Chief senior Hayley Needham attended the forum with Adviser Erin Tonelson and 13 other students. Needham’s ultimate goal is to become an on air news anchor.

“I am inspired,” Needham said. “He sees our nightmares, reports them, and is still able to be honest, down to earth, and humble.”