SOPHOMORE IAN LICHACZ talks about his views on gun control.

Olivia McNulty

Humans of CHS: Ian Lichacz

Recently, a new policy at Texas University now permits students to bring guns on campus grounds. Our staff writers have set out to hear the opinions of our own students here at Cox regarding this policy.

Q: What do you think about students having guns on school campus?

A: “Well what I’ll say is there should be serious regulations on it. It shouldn’t be any kid can get a gun and carry it in an open carry-on campus. You should at least have some form of license or a concealed-carry permit to be able to carry it. In Texas there are laws for concealed-carry, [you know] as every state usually has. You shouldn’t allow every student, just students who have been trained and taught how to properly carry surely can, but it’s not a necessity by any means. I don’t think it would make the campus any safer. There should be a point where the campus should just hire more security to work on campus. They shouldn’t rely on students to protect themselves.”

Q: Do you think there should be stricter laws on gun control overall?

A: “Yes, but you shouldn’t regulate to the point where getting a gun is virtually impossible. There should be background checks for sure, but no matter what the criminal will always find a way to get the weapon. Even if you regulate to the point where no one can get the gun, they’ll still find a way to get a gun. If they want to go shoot somebody, they’ll find a way to go shoot somebody. But inserting lesser limitations, like simple background checks, and just making sure an eighteen-year-old buying a gun on Ebay, I’m just fine with that. But some of the extremely left wing views on what we should do with guns I think is a little bit too radical, and you’re disarming the public from defending themselves overall.”

Falcon Press News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in