SENIOR TAYLOR KOONTZ visits Virginia Commonwealth University and interviews freshman Julea Seliavski about her first year away from home.

Virginia Commonwealth University visit

December 11, 2015

News Editors traveled to Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) to interview First Colonial High School alumnus Julea Seliavski to find out more about freshman year at VCU.

Q: What are the positives/negatives of living with a roommate? Did you know your roommate prior to living together?

A: “Since we are both Art students, we can share supplies, help each other wake up for class, watch out for one another, and have a person to talk to when you’re facing a problem.  However, sometimes I just want to have some time to myself, which is difficult when there’s always someone else around. There are a lot of compromises to be made when dealing with a roommate and if your roommate isn’t very clean, it can be a struggle.  I knew my roommate before we roomed together because we met at an art camp that we both did.  That’s how we decided to room together.”

Q: Was it easy to make friends? Why or why not?

A: “It was actually pretty easy for me to make friends since, when everyone goes to college, they get separated from their original group of friends and are forced to make new friends.  The first two weeks of college was full of making new friends and once I got into the groove of college I made a couple of really close friends that I now consider some of my best friends.”

Q: What is your school’s most well attended event?

A: “Our school’s most well attended event is definitely the basketball games.  VCU has an excellent basketball team and everyone gets really pumped up for the games and pep rallies.”

Q: How has your newfound independence affected you/your grades?

A:  “My independence has probably helped me improve my grades, because now I’m more scared of messing up on my own and flunking out.  At the same time, I do find myself not attending classes when I should be, but I never let it affect my grades.  Independence has definitely forced me to become more responsible.”

Q: How does it feel to be away from your family?

A: “It isn’t that difficult being away from my family. I miss them, but most of the time I’m happy to finally be on my own doing my own thing, especially since I see them every three to four months when we have breaks.”