“Success is no accident”

May 6, 2016

SOPHOMORE MCKENZIE ADAMS battles for the ball against a Princess Anne player.
Staff

Arguably the greatest soccer player in history, Brazil’s Pele once said, “Success is no accident”. And, it is not when it comes to the school’s girls soccer program.

As this school year comes to a close, worn out cleats, empty lockers, and freshly washed uniforms are a sure sign that another Junior Varsity (JV) Girls Soccer season has ended.  Another successful season for the girls is now in the books.

JV sports are sometimes given a negative connotation by those who do not truly understand leadership, sense of team, and a dedication to athletics. Naysayers may see no purpose for these teams and consider them ‘a waste of time’. However, it is important to realize that not all ninth and tenth grade athletes are ready physically and/or mentally for the intense training of a varsity team.  JV players often get more playing time on the field and are given the opportunity to mature and gain a better understanding of high school level play and coach expectations.

The actual purpose of a JV team is to serve as a “feeder” team, or training ground for future varsity players. Many girls that have moved on to the girls soccer varsity team, at some point, played for or with the JV team.

Each season becomes a rebuilding opportunity, giving returning sophomores the opportunity to become leaders. This season only four sophomores returned to the squad: sophomores McKenzie Adams, and captains Lauren Hillier, Audrey McGovern, and Ciara Vakos. The rest of the team was comprised of freshmen.

Hillier, Vakos, and McGovern took charge this season, resulting in the 7-1-2 outcome. Vakos and McGovern held the defense together, acting as the eyes from the back of the field, informing and directing their teammates to victories.

“This season went great for the most part. After our loss to Princess Anne, we pulled through to finish out the season. This year was more competitive than the last year, but we adjusted to each game as well as we could,” Vakos said.

Hillier acted as the back bone of the team. She was the vocals to this new squad, giving daily pep talks and making the communication on and off the field easier for everyone.

“On a team level I think we have room for improvement. This year was different due to injuries, talent, and effort that didn’t measure up to past years. I would have hoped we could have focused more on the quality of the games and connection of the players and a little less on the outcomes of the games,” Hillier said. “Winning is the goal. But, in the event that you can’t win, you must learn from the loss, gain strength, and work for the next opportunity. This season will be one for the books as a learning experience for everyone and I’m happy I got to be part of it.”

Head JV Girls soccer coach Erin Tonelson finished her fourth season with a 36-1-3 overall record. After three previous seasons at the top of the Beach District, this season ended with a second place tie. Tonelson is not upset though, as she knows that losing gracefully builds character and determination.

“No season is different from any other as far as my expectations are concerned. The players might be different talent-wise, but the coaching philosophy remains the same. Soccer is not a solo sport; it is a team sport. We win and lose together,” Tonelson said. “I care about all of my players and I try to instill the importance of sportsmanship, giving 100% on the field, and in life in general. I tell them to remember that a true athlete plays with heart. Heads and hearts should come together and when that is accomplished, we connect on the field to become a team.”