Catering students ‘cap’ competition

March 19, 2015

SENIORS BROCK PERQUE and Charlie Rohlfing compete in the C-CAP cooking competition for catering class.
Daisha Taylor

Catering teacher Amy Goodman recently took seniors Brock Perque and Charlie Rohlfing to compete in the Careers Through Culinary Arts Program (C-CAP) cooking competition.

C-CAP is a non-profit organization that partners with public schools to prepare high school students for careers in the culinary industry. The C-CAP awards over $365,000 in annual scholarships to interested high schoolers. Furthermore, classrooms have received $3.8 million worth of supplies and equipment.

Perque and Rolfing both plan on pursuing careers in the culinary field. Perque plans to attend the Culinary Arts Institute of Virginia (CIV) or Johnson & Wales University.

Rolfing plans to attend CIV or Stratford University. Many students find rewarding careers in the restaurant and hospitality industry.

“I like to cook to make people happy. I hope to work as a chef one day,” Perque said.

At the Hampton Roads C-CAP food preparation and cooking competitions, students are timed to make certain dishes and are judged on their performance.

“The competition was not what I expected. The best thing to do is stay calm and not to worry too much,” Rolfing said.