SOPHOMORE JESSICA JAFFE and junior Caitlin Owens perform in the citywide drama production of A Midsummer Nights Dream.

Michelle Machay

SOPHOMORE JESSICA JAFFE and junior Caitlin Owens perform in the citywide drama production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Theater brings Shakespeare to life

October 21, 2014

“Though she be but little, she is fierce!”
― William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night’s Dream

This past weekend, the city-wide theater productions of Shakespeare’s comedy A Midsummer Night’s Dream, held at Floyd E. Kellam High School, transported the audience 500 years into the past.

Several of the the school’s Theater students performed in the show including:  junior Kaitlin Owens as the fairy queen, ‘Titania’, while sophomore Jessica Jaffe and senior Cookie Sivak played ‘fairies’.

Student talent did not end on stage, however. Technical team members senior Faith Webb showed off her lighting expertise.  Junior  Kelsey Broccoletti styled stage makeup and Theater teacher Michelle Machay directed on stage costuming.

The show was the first All-City Theater production in 17 years and was chosen to be performed as a Main Stage at the Virginia State Thespian Conference at George Mason University in January.

“It was an extraordinary experience. I was exposed to some of the most talented artists in the city and had the opportunity to work in a very professional and dedicated environment,” Owens said.