Senior mural bringing back tradition

Traditionally, each graduating class left behind a memento of their final year at the school in the form of a painting, sculpture, etc. in effort to leave behind something original in which to remember each Class’s contribution.  This year, the tradition returns.

Principal Dr. Kelly and his committee have organized a contest open only to the Class of 2018, a.k.a. the senior class.  The contest allows senior students to submit their own visions for a mural to represent the graduating class and to inspire future students.

A link will be provided on the school’s main website www.coxhs.vbschools.com for students to enter the contest.  Remember:  only seniors may enter the contest.On the entry sheet please provide the a full name, as well as a 1A classroom/teacher.  Students will also find a box, approximately 8 inches by 8 inches, to sketch out their ideas.

The actual mural on the building will be enlarged to 8 feet by 8 feet with the help of the Art Department and senior student leadership. All submissions will first be reviewed by a committee of students and faculty, after which the top three will  be voted on by the senior student body. 

Senior Zoe Williamson was announced as the winner in November. She is currently creating a mural that represents the pride and strength of the senior class.

Q: How did you win the competition?

A: “I created a sketch and I wanted to do something with the community of the entire senior class. I incorporated hand prints with my actual mural and I think that community aspect is what won. The senior class can come in and add their hand prints to the wings of the Falcon.”

Q: How do you feel that you won the mural competition?

A: “I feel that I am  making my mark at Cox High School; its pretty rad.”

Q: Who else is helping you with this?

A: “The National Art Honors Society is going to come in and do the basics. I’m going to do the details and the senior class is going to do the hand prints.”

Q: When is it going to be done?

A: “This is going to be done before winter break.”

Q: Where is it going to go?

A: “Its going to go where the light house mural was on the outside of the building.”

Q: Where did you get your inspiration for this?

A: “It represents confidence. The Falcon is a very strong animal. I wanted it to have a very strong pose so its wings are out and its looking at you. It represents Falcon pride.”