Letters to the Editor: Betsy DeVos

Dear Editor,

I think that Betsy DeVos does not have what it takes to be the Secretary of Education. She does not have what it takes because she doesn’t know what its like to be in a public school. She does not know what it is like to be in a middle-lower class family and not have enough money to send your children to public school. All Betsy DeVos wants to do is make it harder on the lower-income families to send their children to school. All she knows is private schools and she thinks that there should be no public schools. If she defunds public schools, millions upon millions of children will be left with no education.

~ junior Paul Maxwell

Dear Editor,

I agree with the statement that states that DeVos is unqualified for the position of Secretary of Education. I actually think that the problems with public school systems in America has little to do with the way the government funds them, and that if Betsy DeVos’s goal is to fix problems with education, then I think that she should take a simpler approach. Rather than privatising and defunding public schools, she could have public schools become less centered around standardized testing. After reading that she has never attended, worked in nor sent her children to public schools, she could not possibly have the power to eliminate them.

~ junior Karley Messner

Dear Editor,

Based off of the article, I believe that Betsy DeVos could be the correct pick for the Secretary of Education. The country’s education system isn’t doing very good, and can only get worse. That would mean a new plan for changes in the nation’s education system. Betsy’s proposition of opportunistic schooling (kids go where the parents see fit) is intriguing, whether or not it could work, would take more research. Either way, significant changes are needed to make improvements upon the American school system, and an ambition, with a different mindset, may kickstart a new, better change.

~ junior Travis Hammuely

Dear Editor,

Education is an important factor in human growth. If you take away funding, it creates less opportunities for parents to send their children to school. Students without enough money would have to quit school. A part of education is teaching, and if you send students to a teacher who is unprepared for the role, you are giving the students less enthusiasm to get to schools. They won’t want to learn. A good teacher is a teacher who has adequate knowledge and enthusiasm to teach. The more active a teacher is with their students the more the students will want to learn and stay in school. But if you don’t give students a teacher with the proper education, you will end up lowering the entirety of the nations smarts.

~ junior Bryn Haugh