Beach Girls Rock: let dreams take flight

DECA MEMBERS, SENIOR Phillip Malamatos and junior Jade Davis serve fierce looks at Beach Girls Rock

Since its creation in 2012, Beach Girls Rock, (BGR) a workshop series created by Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS), has maintained its devotion to motivating and inspiring young girls within the community to become their best selves.

According to VBCPS spokesperson Lauren Nolasco, BGR scheduled three events for this school year that are free for VBCPS students. Each BGR event is sponsored by the Office of Opportunity and Achievement and plans to focus on empowerment topics for the division’s young women, including leadership, healthy living and college-career readiness.  The first two workshops were held at Bayside and Kempsville High Schools.

The school’s theme, “Let Your Dreams Take Flight”, held on Saturday, March 25, from 8 a.m. – noon, will include various student and parent breakout sessions, as well as Keynote Speaker WTKR Channel 3 news reporter and anchor Jessica Larche.

Current female student leaders within the school have been invited to assist at the workshop by teaching sessions, assisting various vendors with snacks, and escorting girls around.  Originally, BGR was only open to eighth and ninth grade girls as a means of helping them transition from middle to high school. The workshops are now open to students in grades five through eight and offer more topics that are outside of the academic realms, such as Fashion, Marketing, and the benefits of humanitarianism and volunteering.

“Let Your Dreams Take Flight” is about empowering young girls to stay positive, to stay motivated, and focused on achieving any goal they set for themselves in life.