News wins VHSL five times

October 11, 2016

JOURNALISM I STUDENTS pose for a group picture after posing for individual press pass pictures.
Seyler Robertson

Congratulations to the school’s Journalism students, both past and present, for earning their fifth, in a row, Virginia High School League (VHSL) 1st place distinction for its Falcon Press online student newspaper.

The first three VHSL distinctions were for the Falcon Press printed newspaper, which is judged at the end of each school year.

The second two VHSL distinctions were won after the newspaper went fully online.  Online news, however, is judged throughout each school year and is not announced until October of the following school year.

Falcon Press newspaper Adviser and Journalism teacher Erin Tonelson has been the only teacher in the school’s program for the past seven years.

“All Journalism students in both classes, JI and JII/III, are considered Falcon Press staff members,” Tonelson said. “We work together as a team to not only produce the newspaper, but to keep track of the Falcon Press social media.  Overall, I’m lucky to have had such amazing students over the years who work hard to put out quality student news.”