SENIOR NEWS STAFFER Hayley Needham visits the University of Alabama to tour a possibility of where she may spend the next 4 years.

University of Alabama visit

April 19, 2016

Recently, news staffer Hayley Needham visited the University of Alabama located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and wrote about the school and her experience.

I really liked the large campus and even larger student body of more than 35,000 students.

I was lucky enough to tour the communications building, which contained state of the art film equipment and technology. The architecture of the buildings was just magnificent. Established in 1831, the school shows historic beauty with large white columns. Located in the south, it was originally burnt down during Civil War times by the Northern troops. However, they left three buildings, one of which is the president’s house, where the current president resides today.

The school spirit is so prevalent in both the city and in the whole state of Alabama. From the moment I stepped off the airplane, I was automatically surrounded by crimson red. A saying Alabama fans chant is, “Roll Tide,” which originated from a Rosebowl football game where the pack of Alabama Football players appeared as a rolling tide. I really liked how the whole town revolved around the school. The support from alumni and students was incredible.

The weather was around 75 degrees the whole weekend and tends to keep a warm climate even through winter months. The central part of campus is called “the Quad” which is a grassy area where most of the students spend their time reading, studying, throwing the Frisbee, or walking their dogs. On the north side of the quad lies the library and on the south side lies the president’s house. Around the perimeter of the quad are other academic buildings and the school’s own natural history museum.

Although the school won a national football championship this past year, both the basketball and baseball games were sold out, with large crowds of fans waiting in line that wrapped around the sports fields. I thought it was really cool how a school can get large attendance not just for major sports but for all of them.

The sorority houses are all newly built, 30 bedroom mansions located next to the Bryant-Denny football stadium. The school is home to over 60 Greek societies. Each participates in philanthropic events and other school functions.

I would highly recommend the University of Alabama for anyone who desires warm weather, a large student body and even larger school spirit.