Bernie Sanders rally sparks student interest

SENATOR BERNIE SANDERS receives applause as he ends his speech at the Scope.

Taylor Koontz

Over 3,500 people attended the rally for Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders on Tuesday, February 23rd at Scope in Norfolk. While it’s usually the social norm for high school students to be uninterested in politics, many skipped school and showed up in support for Sanders.

“My friends and I showed up to the Scope at 8 a.m. to get in line for the rally,” said senior Angie Solomon. “We support Bernie because he has made his campaign all about the people and he understands the struggles than many Americans face in 2016.”

Doors at the Scope opened at 9:30 a.m. and Sanders began speaking at 12 p.m. The Vermont Senator touched on the issues of banking reform, free college tuition, a Medicare-for-all health system, and race and gender inequality.

“Bernie promotes the idea of a political revolution. He wants to help get rid of inequality, injustice, and discrimination. He wants to build bridges between all people and he strongly believes that one day we will be able to coexist together,” said Solomon.

Sanders urged the importance of every student getting an equal opportunity to go to college.

“What a high school degree was worth 50 years ago is pretty much what a college degree is worth today,” said Sanders. “We want our young people to get the best education that they can get, yet we are punishing millions of people for the crime of getting an education.”

At the end of the rally, Sanders greeted many supporters that were in the first row of the crowd, including seniors Nyia Chusan and Jeffrey McKaig, who got a picture and a hug from the senator.

“I loved going to the rally!  I think it’s important to be a part of the political process,” said Jeffrey McKaig.